August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sweet and sour eggs

In our house we have two languages, the one I speak and the one my dude speaks - this of course is not including the occasional German that Jakob speaks. D and I differ on a few things in our terminology. For example, anything that has "oo" in it, D says that I put too many syllables in. School sounds like "skū-al", tool sounds like "tū-al", pool sounds like "pū-al". You get the picture. Don't you find if highly hypocritical of any Okie to criticize another Okie on their use of the English language? I will admit that I heard the word "thay-at" (supposed to be "that") come out of my mouth one day and I almost died and began correcting myself immediately. But, I honestly don't hear myself saying "skū-al". It just sounds like plain old "school" to me.

We also disagree on what to call certain foods. The other day I made what my family has always called Little Hamburgers with Mushroom Soup. D says it should be called Meatballs and Mushroom Gravy. Take your pick or make up your own name, they were delish! You've probably had them at your house and you call them something else. I think I've even heard them called Poor Man's ______, I forget what goes in the blank. :) It's basically tiny little hamburgers topped with mushroom soup that's been mixed with a little bit of milk. You've had this, right? No? See easy instructions below.

I partnered up the LHWMS with mashed potatoes and corn, which is called "mais" in German. D and I eat our corn on top of our potatoes with a scoop of butter on top - don't lecture me about the unhealthiness of the dish, I like it that way. Indulge me, I don't eat it that often. When I plated Jakob's food, I put his corn beside his potatoes because I didn't know if he'd like them mixed together. But, when he went back for seconds, he mixed them. Atta boy! I asked him how he liked it and he said it was tastier than eating them separately. I asked him if they eat a lot of mashed potatoes in Germany and he said they do and his favorite potato dish is Potatoes and Sweet & Sour Eggs. I'd never heard of it, but I'm willing to try it so I asked him how it's made, but he didn't know. He said his Mom makes it and it's either a lunch or dinner dish. So, I googled it. I google everything. Google is my friend. I will google you if you tell me your name. I may google myself later. Here are two recipes that my bff google sent me, I hope one of them is close to what Jakob's mother makes.

German Sweet & Sour Eggs Aka Suess-Sauer Eier

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 40 g all-purpose flour
  • hot water, as needed
  • 1 pinch salt, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, to taste
  • 4 -6 eggs, cooked any way you like them
  • 2 -3 potatoes, peeled, sliced, cooked
  • Directions:

    1.  Heat the oil in a skillet and have ready a cup or two of hot water.
    2.  Whisk in the flour and cook until brown, stirring constantly--be careful not to burn the flour.
    3.  Add a small amount of hot water to the pan, whisking well, to create a sauce-like consistency, adding and whisking as needed.
    4.  Whisk together the vinegar and the sugar, then add as much or as little to the sauce as you like (taste and adjust if necessary).
    5.  Cook eggs however you like them (pan fried, hard boiled, etc) and serve with the sauce and some potatoes, if desired.
    ________________________________________________________________________


    Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 small onion, peeled and minced
  • 1 teaspoon flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 -4 cloves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 12 eggs

  • Directions

    1.  Melt butter in a skillet, add onion and cook slowly (do not brown).
    2.  Add flour and cook until golden; add water, cloves, and bay leaves and cook until smooth, stirring constantly.
    3.  Simmer 15 minutes longer.
    4.  Add vinegar salt and sugar and as soon as sauce comes to a rapid boil, add eggs one at a time.
    5.  Cover and cook until eggs are done as preferred.

    ________________________________________________________________________

    And here's the easy recipe for LHWMS:

    1 lb ground beef
    Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
    Woowoo sauce (aka Worcestershire Sauce if you don't speak my language), to taste, 5-10 splashes
    2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
    Milk, enough to fill about one of the soup cans

    Combine the beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Woowoo sauce and stir until it's all mixed together. Form meatball sized hamburger patties and cook them in a pan over medium-high heat until they're about halfway done and crispy on the bottom. Flip them over and repeat. In a bowl, combine the soup and milk, whisk until smooth. When the burgers are cooked through, pour the soup mixture over the top. Stir it and the burgers and make sure you scrape any of the black stuff off of the bottom of the pan, it's yummy! Let it cook through and then chow down! With this recipe, you'll have some extra "sauce" in the pan. D likes to put it on fried potatoes. :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment