August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Friday, September 14, 2012

Jakob's breakfast sandwich

I say these are Jakob's breakfast sandwiches, but he eats them morning, noon and night. After I looked at the ingredients, I realized that they're a lot like a monte cristo - one of my favorite sandwiches! - but healthier. Maybe you already make these in your house, but they were new to us. D eats the sandwich the same way Jakob does, but because I'm the difficult sort, I grill mine like a grilled cheese. I don't like to have warm bread and cold ingredients on a sandwich. I like either an all-cold or an all-hot sandwich, no in-between. And I can't eat cold American cheese slices under any circumstances. Blech! It has to be melted. It grosses me out just thinking about it! To be honest, I don't really like cold sandwiches. One time, I told a babysitter that I couldn't eat a bologna and cheese sandwich (bologna is a sure way to make me sick) and she didn't believe me. She found out the hard way that I'm no liar. The bologna (gag) and cold cheese (more gag) came right back up. Anyhooty, here's the recipe for these yummerific Faux Monte Cristo Sandwiches. Just so you know that I'm not someone who's completely set in my ways, I did try a bite of D's sandwich and gagged on the cold cheese before I made up my mind that I'd have to grill it. I like my cheese melted and ooey-gooey-yummy! Tastes like more to me! :)

Faux Monte Cristo Sandwich
2 slices of bread
Ham or turkey or both, deli thin slices, I only use 3 slices, but you can use more
Jelly or preserves, I use Smucker's Sugar Free Red Raspberry Preserves
1 slice of cheese, I use Velveeta slices (It melts better than cheddar! I know you sang that as you said it)

Jakob's version:
Toast the bread. Slap the jelly, cheese and meat on the toast. Put the two sides together and chow down.

My version:
Slap the jelly, cheese and meat on the bread. Put the two sides together then grill it on the stove. Chow down.

2 comments:

  1. it was good until I got to the jelly . . . .ewwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I've had jelly on a sandwich other than a PB&J was on a monte cristo. I wasn't sure about this, but it was really good! If it were cold, I wouldn't be able to do it ;)

    ReplyDelete