August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

An Affair of the Heart

Another year of tradition is in the books! Nana, Loren, Rocco, and I survived another trek to the Affair of the Heart in Oklahoma City! We have gone every year for seven or eight years, always on Sunday, and we make a girls trip out of it. This year, of course, was Rocco's first trip and even though he isn't a girl, we allowed him to tag along.

Mom and I got an early start so we could pick up Loren and we even had enough time to stop at Pops! in Arcadia and have breakfast. It was the first time Mom and I had eaten there or even been inside the store. I've driven by it a few times, but never stopped. Before we got there Loren told us all about the bottles of soda on the wall and all of the flavors available. The breakfast was good and no, we didn't have any soda. I had the three eggs meal with breakfast potatoes and wheat toast. It was really good, but I have to rave about the bread. It was dense and chewy and delicious! I used it to sop up my eggs over easy.

At night the "bottle" changes colors. 

He was all bundled up so we could wait in line to get in. He loves the stroller, but only if it's moving, he doesn't like to sit still. He gets that from Nana. 

We always start at the "Made in Oklahoma" building. During the state fair everything in this building is ...... duh, made in Oklahoma, as the name indicates. But, I don't think that definition applies during AAOTH. 

Photos and videos are not allowed at AAOTH, boo, but I understand why. So, I couldn't take pictures of all of the cute things there were to buy, but I'll share a couple of pictures of what I did buy. I'm not one of those shopaholic-gotta-have-everything kind of gals. When we go to AAOTH I usually go to look for home décor, kitchen items, food, and smell-good stuff. This year I added "baby stuff" to my list.

This is "Sheriff Wild Bill Hitchcock", an animated movie and book written by a fellow Okie, Matthew Coury. This is from Character Tales and is a story of sacrifice vs. selfishness. As their website says, "Character Tales is our way to encourage others to build strong Christian Character in their lives." The author's parents believed in his project so much that they used their life savings to produce the DVD, print the book (in the US), make T-shirts, posters, whistles, slingshots, bows and arrows, and swords. This story takes place in a chicken town where the sheriff is very selfish and he has to learn how to serve others. I love stories like this! We have to plant these seeds in our children early. Rocco, of course, is too small to understand, but I'll be ready as he grows.  I know some adults who could probably benefit from this story, too. To order your own, go to www.charactertales.com.

I also bought this cross. I fell in love with it immediately and I actually bought two, the other one is slightly different. I love the cow hide and the stars on it. Stars and crosses are a common motif throughout our house. I bought this one for Rocco's room and I haven't decided where to put the other one, yet. I bought this from C&G Gifts & Collectibles from Wylie, TX. They can be contacted at (214)502-0326 if you'd like one of your own. 

Here it is in place. 

And since we're looking at nursery pics, check this out:

I am still in love with this light! It is beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment