August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Nursery night light

Our nursery will have a cowboy/western theme to it - not overpowering, but a nice blend.  I don't want a TON of little cowboy knick-knacky stuff, but just some nice western accents.  I decided I didn't want a run of the mill night light and wanted to make my own out of an old cowboy boot to sit on top of the dresser.  I perused the online world for some lighted branches and I was surprised that so many of them run on batteries, which won't work for me.  I finally found what I was looking for at Illuminated Garden.  I chose the natural willow branch because it wasn't too frilly and the lights looked like they gave off a nice, warm glow, nothing too bright - this is a night light, after all.  I don't want it to keep our baby up, just give a little light to the room.  I posted on my Facebook page that I was looking for an old pair of cowboy boots, nothing that looked girly and in stepped my pastor, Mike, with a good, worn pair covered in cow poop.  Exactly what I was looking for!  Seriously, that's exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't want something that looked brand new, I wanted it to look well worn and broken in.  I used a rag, old toothbrush and warm water to clean off the exterior and then I vacuumed out the inside.  Lastly, I rubbed mink oil all over it and, jump back Loretta!  Look at the difference!


I wanted to put some flowers in with the lights, but again, it needed to not be girly looking.  I thought a little greenery and some kind of berry would be nice, so after I let the boot sit and absorb the oil for a couple of weeks I went to Hobby Lobby and bought my floral stems.

 
And here's the final product!  I am so unbelievably happy with how it turned out and when the lights are off it looks wonderful - just the right amount of light.  The project cost me about $38 total (lights, floral foam and stems) and I had it put together in just a few minutes.  I'm thinking about making another one for the living room or another room and putting flowers in it to dress it up a little.  I am in love with this light!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment