August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Monday, October 8, 2012

A lesson on soccer

Over the weekend Jakob and I sat down to watch some soccer. This was the first soccer game I've ever watched. Ever. As in never before. Ever. Never ever. Does it make me weird that I've never watched a soccer game? Football ..... basketball ..... baseball ..... volleyball ..... these are the sports I grew up with. I've even learned the rules of golf since I got married. But, hockey and soccer are very foreign to me. I don't understand them, so I don't usually watch them. Here's what I learned, if I understood correctly:

1.  There are some hotties who play soccer. There are also some hotties who attend soccer games.

2.  There are 11 players on the field; usually 4 forwards, 4 midfielders, 2 defenders and 1 goalie.

3.  Players can have body contact, but not with their hands. Well, what fun is that?

4.  A player can receive 2 yellow cards for something similar to a flagrant foul. On the third offense, a red card is issued and the player is ejected. However, it didn't sound like there was a policy defining what a flagrant foul is. Maybe I misunderstood.

5.  There is no time limit for the team to move the ball down the field. It sounds like the game could last all day.

6.  The center circle is only used in the beginning for the kickoff. It sounds like a basketball tipoff; this familiar with I am (imagine Yoda said that, it'll make more sense).

7.  If they make a foul inside the secondary box (I don't know what else to call it), a penalty is issued and the other team gets a free kick.

8.  The home team is on the left side of the on-screen scoreboard. This must be a European thing.

9.  The fans are very passionate; in Jakob's words, there are many hooligans. lol

10.  There are two 45 minute halves, but the referees can add time. Add time? But, it's not overtime? I don't understand.

11.  Halftime is 15 minutes long.

12.  Like me, Jakob has no idea what the crowd is chanting.

13.  There are 3 referees. One on the field and two on the sideline who each work half of the field. Jakob said this makes it hard for the referees to see everything. So, I imagine the players might get away with some things, kind of like what happens underwater during a water polo game. Have you ever watched that sport? Violent it is (more Yoda, sorry). And for the record, I don't understand water polo, either.

I hope that this message was as informative for you as it was for me.

2 comments:

  1. water polo looks like Yale Pool rag tag. Hooligans is a word that needs to be used more often with shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hooligans and shenanigans! lol

    ReplyDelete