August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Friday, November 15, 2013

White Christmas

Last night my cousin, Maddy, and I went to see White Christmas at the Tulsa Performing Arts Center, part of their Broadway on Tour season. It was her first taste of a live Broadway show and at the age of 16, I've got her hooked! We did take her to see Bear and the Big Blue House when she was little, but she was afraid of Bear. And because I'm a good date, I took her to dinner at The Wild Fork beforehand. She liked that, too. I bought us both a magnet to remember the occasion and I also bought another program to go with all the others that I have. 

I almost always cry at the end of a show, I don't know why. My fave show is Wicked, followed by (in no particular order) Thoroughly Modern Millie, Mamma Mia!, 42nd Street, The Drowsy Chaperone, Jersey Boys, Say Goodnight Gracie, and Annie. There's probably more that I just can't think of right now. However, the one show that we saw that sucked was Cats. We couldn't understand what the actors were saying or singing. And it wasn't just us; during the intermission the man sitting in front of told his wife that he couldn't understand them, either. And several other people that I know who've seen it have all said the same thing. It was disappointing because we had really awesome seats. Seeing White Christmas last night was a perfect way to start the holiday season! The air was chilly and our dinner was perfect and a trip to Starbucks made the evening perfect.

After watching the show I've come to a few conclusions:

1. I do not have enough sparkly clothes in my closet. 

2. I need sparkly Spanx.

3. I do not have enough heavy, drapey curtains in my house; they have a very elegant look to them. 

4. I need some 1950's style dresses with an A-line skirt; flattering for most body types and they twirl well.

5. I do not bust out into song often enough anymore. I have been known to belt out Broadway tunes whenever I feel like it, like when I'm waiting in line to get in at An Affair of the Heart. I would sing to Loren and she would ask me to do it again.

6. I need to go dancing, but not just two-stepping or booty shaking, I want to learn ballroom dancing. 

7. I need tap shoes and tap dancing lessons. My Grandma Lois could tap dance, which is really something for a girl who grew up during the depression in the middle of dusty Oklahoma. Even at over eighty years old, on days when her body didn't hurt she would tap a little dance. 

8. And because we all know my brain works on tangents, seeing a Broadway show always makes me think of New York City and I still desperately want to go to there - and so does Maddy, for that matter! It's been a dream for as long as I can remember; Rockefeller Center at Christmas, Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Rockette's Christmas Spectacular, MoMA, the Statue of Liberty, Central Park - just a few places that are on my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment