August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Not today

This morning I woke up and life went on. As soon as I opened my eyes I could see the vacancy left, not just in our hearts, but the physical vacancy of Diamond being gone. She slept on a bed in our bedroom and even in the darkness, I could see her black silhouette against her white bed. As soon as I would get up, she would rise to greet me. But, not today. 

She would follow me to the bathroom and lay just outside the door, her nose pressed against the open space at the bottom, blowing air underneath it while I got ready. But, not today. 

When I came out of the bathroom she would get up and stretch; she had an awesome downward dog and upward dog (yoga stretches). But, not today. 

She would race to the front door, shaking her whole body from head to toe to wake herself up. She would wait for me at the door while I woke up Marilyn. But, not today. 

When I would let them in after they pottied she would nudge my hand as she came through the door, her way of saying "I love you and hope you have a piece of candy for me." But, not today. 

She would race Marilyn to the food bowls, but after one or two bites she would come back to check on me before she finished her breakfast. But, not today. 

When she would finish her breakfast she would come through for another round of petting and rubbing before she would lay down to rest until it was time for me to leave. Then, she would follow me to the door and watch me leave. But, not today. 


This is the last photo I took of her before we left for the vet. I still see her as a puppy when I look at her. You can see the tumor making her upper lip stick out. My poor girl! She had started pawing at it and scratching it or rubbing her head on the floor in the last few days and we could see that it was continuing to grow. She was losing muscle mass, even though we'd switched her to wet/canned food. She was having trouble drinking and would get more water on the floor than she did in her mouth. 

It was a difficult morning with my big girl on my mind. A new routine begins. 

2 comments:

  1. My heart aches for you. Pets are family and it tears us apart to lose one. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete