August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lunchtime explosion


When I'm at work I don't get a lunch hour and have to take something that can be heated in the microwave or toaster oven.  I like those little single servings of Velveeta mac-n-cheese because they're yummy, filling and not terribly expensive.  However, these little dudes like to blow up in the microwave.  They're like miniature water spouts.  And it's not just water, it's water that's been heated with noodles and it's more like the consistency and slickness of snot.  Yucko!  The first time I made one, when I opened the microwave door there was hot water EVERYWHERE!  I reread the instructions to make sure I had prepared it correctly, but the next time I made some I got the same result - water, water everywhere.  Since I'm apparently a little slow, I tried it a third time, making sure I read the instructions carefully and followed them to a tee, thinking I must have been doing something wrong.  I opened the microwave door and more water!  I think I used almost an entire package of napkins to clean it all up.  After that, I decided I would put a couple of napkins under the cup to soak up the water.  Two napkins is not enough to hold all of the water; I used four or five more to clean it up.  I started putting a few napkins under and over the cup, thinking, surely that would cure the problem.  Well, no it doesn't.


This is the aftermath.  Notice the soaked napkins?

Lots o' slick, hard to clean up water.

Can you believe how soaked all of the napkins are?

So, I'm not sure if it's the packaging, the microwave or just bad karma, but these little cups just keep exploding like Old Faithful!

3 comments:

  1. maybe keep a microwave safe bowl or paper bowl and put the container on that before cooking it to catch all the overflow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth WhittingtonFebruary 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM

    When I had a job that I had to take my own lunch, I used to buy those single serve packages of stofers (not sure thats how you spell it?) lasagna.. They are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the worst luck with microwavable meals at work. One time I heated up some Campbell's Soup to Go and it exploded all over the inside of the microwave. When I started cleaning it up, I bent over and rammed my eye into the corner of the door. Maybe I should just stay away from the microwave all together lol

    ReplyDelete