August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Thursday, December 13, 2012

What I've learned about shopping for maternity clothes

1. Most stores (at least in my area) don't carry maternity clothes in stock. What?! A town of almost 50,000 people is within 25 minutes of my house and I can't find one store that stocks maternity clothes. "Buy online!" they say. "Pull my finger!" I say.

2. It must have been a man who said that you can simply buy a waist extender and continue to live in your normal pants for several months. This didn't work because the only way to get comfortable in my normal pants was to be completely unbuttoned and unzipped. If you were/are not that bloated, bless you. I tried the whole waist extender thing and I think I was more uncomfortable than if I'd just toughed it out and buttoned them up. I have kissed my jeans good-bye until sometime next fall.

3. It must have been the same man who said you can buy maternity pants in your normal size. I'm normally a size 10, but I have on a size 8 maternity pant from Old Navy. ???

4. While in the muffin top stage (this is when you're middle is beginning to grow but hasn't grown so much that you actually look pregnant, you just look like you've packed on a few pounds) do not wear form fitting maternity shirts. If they're too big for you to fill out, you'll just look bigger than normal. If they fit your muffin top, you just look bigger than normal.

5. Always, excuse me, ALWAYS, try the clothes on. I don't care what size the tag says that it is, if it's close your size, try it on. If you hold it up to your body and it's close to your size, try it on. I've come to the conclusion that the tag is a mere afterthought and it is not to be held to any kind of truth standard. And don't be surprised if your belly is one size, but your tatas, arms and rear are another size. EVERYTHING grows, not just your belly. Also, as another pregnant woman pointed out to me, the form fitting shirts are still made with skinny sleeves. As I mentioned, everything grows when you're pregnant, so those skinny sleeves might not fit your arms anymore. This is also why your normal pants no longer fit - even unbuttoned and unzipped, the legs are becoming waaaaay too tight!

6. Shopping in the "women's" department (this is not the same thing as the "misses" department) is a must do! And yoga pants with a V-front are awesome! Buy some leggings, cute boots and long shirts or tunics that are a size or two larger than your normal size and be cute and happy!

*Disclaimer: this is just a summary of my experiences and what has worked or not worked for me. You may have had better luck than me and you're not expected to follow my lead or agree with my opinions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment