August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Easy chili

My Grandpa Rex was well known for his cooking and chili was something he had numerous recipes for. When I was 16 he gave me a book of his most prized recipes. I've made one of his chili recipes for forever because it's my favorite, it tastes awesome and I'm so picky about my chili that I pretty much refused to eat any other recipe - they're usually too thick (I like a little juice in my chili) or the flavor is wrong. But, recently Mom shared a simple recipe that was very yummy! Here you go!

Easy Chili
2 lb hamburger
5 lb sausage
2 pkg taco season
2 pkg dry ranch season
2 cans Ro-tel
1 can ranch style beans
2 cans tomato sauce
1-2 cans water

1.  In a large pot, brown the hamburger and sausage then drain and return the meat to the pot.

2.  Add the taco and ranch seasoning and stir well.

3.  Add the Ro-tel, beans, tomato sauce and 1-2 cans of water (use the empty can of sauce) and heat through, approximately 20 minutes.

We like to serve chili over Frito's, topped with mustard, onions and cheese, AKA Frito Chili Pie. Years ago, my friend Ricky went off to college in the panhandle and met a boy from Illinois and when he came home with her, we were having Frito Chili Pie. He had NEVER heard of it. Sacrilege! I don't even know how it's possible that someone could have never heard of FCP. But, he's a Yankee, so I'll just chalk it up to that lol! He said they eat their chili over crackers (something I've never cared for), so we hooked him up with some FCP and now that he's married to her and has been converted to be a mostly-Okie, I think he's okay. Actually, we all love Travis. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment