August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Easy chicken enchiladas

On Tuesday morning at 4:47 am I woke up and a thrown-together recipe for enchiladas suddenly appeared in my mind. I thought about it for a while and decided it sounded quite yummy and we would have it for dinner that night. Do you ever do that? Have a recipe idea suddenly just appear to you? I've never had it happen at 4:47 am, but it worked out this time.

On the amounts for the jalepenos, onions and cheese, I'm making a rough guess as to how much I used because I didn't measure it, I just eyeballed it for what I thought would be sufficient. You can always use less or more depending on your family's palate. We had black bean and corn salad, Ro-tel cheese dip and chips with the enchiladas. Jakob said it was the worst meal EVER! But, he was just kidding, he had seconds. For the cheese I used colby jack - it's one we like and we use it on almost everything. But, you could use pepper jack or whatever flavor floats your boat. Next time I'll try to remember to take a pic.

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

2-3 large cans of chicken chunks, drained and separated with a fork
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 8 oz container sour cream
1 small can chopped green chiles
1/4 C jalepenos, chopped (make it easy and just use the kind from a jar)
1/2 C onion, chopped
1 C cilantro, chopped
2 C cheese, shredded
Salsa
1 pkg tortillas, soft taco size

1.  In a small saucepan, combine the sour cream, soup, chiles, jalepenos and onion. Cook over medium heat until warmed through and it has thinned out.

2.  Mix in the chicken and stir well. (I like a creamier enchilada so I only used 2 cans of chicken, but if you want more meat and less sauce, just add more chicken.)

3.  Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Lay a tortilla out flat, spoon about 3 heaping tablespoons on it and roll it up, then place it in the baking dish and repeat. If you have any leftover sauce mix, just spoon it over the top. (I'm not a tight roller, so all but 2 of my tortillas fit into my baking dish; the last two I put into an 8x8 baking dish.)

4.  Spoon salsa over the tortillas. Go as heavy or as light as you want. Remember, the more you use, the soggier it can become, so I only used 1 or 2 Tbsp over each tortilla.

5.  Spread the cilantro over the top, then spread the cheese on.

6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment