August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Monday, December 10, 2012

The bananafana song

Monday, Monday bo bonday
Bananafana fo fonday
Me, my, mo monday
Monday!

I learned this song when I was a little girl from my friend Audrey's mom, Gail. She hauled a load of us girls around and took us to ballet class and led our Camp Fire Girls group for several years. Most importantly, she taught us how to make snocones with snow and Koolaid. It was a revolutionary day for me because I L-O-V-E snocones! I also watched "Jaws" for the first time at their house and it scared the poo out of me. I've never looked at water the same. Audrey also introduced me to Shel Silverstein and Wham! And I've never looked at music the same. Wake me up, before you go, go!

I have taught this song to my niece and my cousins over the years and it is hysterical to watch a toddler who's just learning to speak get entranced by this song and try to sing it with you. Normally, the only thing they manage to get out is "nanafana" over and over as they bop their little diapered booty up and down. I sing it all the time, using whatever word comes to mind.

Nut, nut bo but
Bananafana fo fut
Me, my, mo mut
Nut!

Girl, girl bo birl
Bananafana fo firl
Me, my, mo mirl
Girl!

Dog, dog bo bog
Bananafana fo fog
Me, my, mo mog
Dog!

I prefer to use names, though.

Nana, Nana bo bana
Bananafana fo fana
Me, my, mo mana
Nana!

Julie, Julie bo bulie
Bananafana fo fulie
Me, my, mo mulie
Julie!

Maddy, Maddy bo baddy
Bananafana fo faddy
Me, my mo maddy
Maddy!

And the more times we sing it, the faster we go! :)

However, I'm now going to have the Wham! song stuck in my head all day.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Ballengers! I used to babysit for them and named my 2nd daughter after Audrey!

    ReplyDelete