August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Okie Black Eyed Pea Dip

Okay, let's be honest, who likes black eyed peas? Not the singing group, but the nasty canned food? If anyone raises their hand, we will all know you're a liar. They taste and smell like dirt! How could they ever be eaten plain? Blech! Gag! Spit! Hurl!

Enough of that. Moving on. 

Every New Year's Day we eat black eyed peas because we're on the bandwagon with about half a bazillion other people who all superstitiously believe it will bring them good luck in the coming year. I know that everyone else does this, too, because when I went to buy BEP's, the shelves were empty. I don't believe in luck, I just eat them because my Mom always made me and now it's just a New Year's Day habit. Normally, we doctor them up with bacon or some leftover ham hocks and lots of spices and hot stuff to drown out the awfulness that is BEP's. I decided to try something different this year. On Christmas Day I was brave and made two breakfast/brunch dishes that I'd never made before and they turned out alright, so I did the same with the BEP's. I saw this recipe on Facebook, I don't remember where, and thought it would be a good alternative. Plus, it was super simple!

Okie Black Eyed Pea Dip

1-14oz can black eyed peas, drained and partially mashed
1/4 whole onion, finely chopped
1/4 C sour cream
8 slices jarred jalapeƱo slices
1 C grated cheddar cheese
3 T salsa
Hot sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir well. Spread the mixture into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, then bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly. Serve with chips. 

Even though it didn't say to, I sprayed the pan with cooking spray before spreading the mixture. I think some Lawry's season salt would have been good in it, too. But, then again, I'm addicted to salt. I also rinsed the BEP's, just to make sure there wasn't any residual nastiness in them. I have issues. Sorry. 

You'll have something like this:


Here's a close-up:


It was really good and it didn't taste or smell like dirt! Winning!


2 comments:

  1. I love BEP's for real! I throw a little butter and a bullion cube in them and eat 'em up! Your concoction looks good too! I'll have to give it a try! #coolkidseatBEPsforfun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like them, too. Mom used to put bacon in them - yum. :)

    ReplyDelete