August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Monday, January 13, 2014

I don't have a name for this post

So, a few months ago I told you that I had set up our Total Gym that I bought used last spring. Here's the rub - we didn't have any instructions or exercise charts or videos to tell us how to do all of the different exercises. So, I've been using my fitness knowledge (from 10 years of being a fitness instructor) to creatively use the machine. 

Until I got tired of doing that and decided to just order some videos and an exercise chart. I only have so much creativity in my brain and right now all it can think about is new living room furniture, painting, and revamping my utility room. Thank you HGTV and DIY Network. 

Last week I ordered 6 of the workout videos and an exercise chart and I was so excited that I paid for overnight shipping so I could get started right away. On Thursday I did day 1 of the women's 6-day 6-8 minute plan, followed by 15 minutes on the treadmill, squats, lunges, push-ups, and stretching. In 35 minutes I burned about 350 calories and I was ecstatic because that burned off at least one of the chocolate bars I'd had for breakfast. Don't judge. 

On Friday I got ready to do day 2 of the 6-day plan and I realized that there were a couple of pieces missing. Boo! That's what I get for buying used. I modified the exercises and got through the day's workout, then went about buying some replacement parts.

In total, I have spent about $275 for everything, which is waaaaay cheaper than retail. On the Total Gym website some of the models are as much as $2200! My model works just as well and I spent a fraction of the cost!

And I might have a slight addiction to the machine and all of the newfound exercises I can do on it. The video really got me feeling motivated and I didn't get bored, which is a problem I have with a lot of exercise videos. Doing the short video and mixing in my treadmill (cardio), squats, lunges, and push-ups is much more my style. I generally will watch a video, take the moves that I like and combine them with moves from another video and make my own workout. Or I cut out workouts from magazines and combine the parts I like. Plus, I rarely like the music on videos, I like my own. Over the years I have found that I like the strength training videos, but the cardio videos, um, not so much. (Sorry, Patrick Goudeau! I loved your class at Dallas Mania, though! Super fun, high energy, and easy to follow. I just don't like doing the videos at home.) I prefer to do my own cardio floor/step/BOSU routines or run on the treadmill and have my own music. Does that make me a fitness snob? Man, you really learn a lot about yourself when you blog. Grammar snob. Fitness snob. What other uglies are hiding inside?

On that note, I think I'll stop. But, before I go, I have one more random confession - getting to meet all of the fitness stars that we all see on our favorite workout videos and ask them questions, pick their brains, and just interact with them was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had! I loved meeting all of them at fitness conventions, learning from them, and I really miss teaching. And, I need some more fitness-minded friends to move near me so that I have people to workout with. I miss the group dynamic!

No comments:

Post a Comment