August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Wild Fork - a review

Okay, maybe that shouldn't say that this is a review. It's more like me raving about good food and good service. And since I'm not an official restaurant/food critic, lets just call this what it is, me telling you about a place I like to eat. 

There, I feel better now.

The Wild Fork in Utica Square in Tulsa is my new favorite place to eat! We ate there once a week for three weeks in a row, which is odd because we don't normally go to T-town that often. It feels like we've been stuck on "Go" for several weeks. 

We went to see Blue Man Group a few weeks ago and chose The Wild Fork for our date night dinner. We like to try new places when we have a date night and this was our first trip to TWF. I was in a particularly randy state of mind and decided that the grilled salmon sounded yummy. Which is also odd because I NEVER eat seafood. Normally, I gag at the mere whiff of anything that smells even remotely fishy. I do make salmon patties (kind of like a crab cake) and hush puppies at home, but I have NEVER ordered seafood at a restaurant before in my life. Seriously, never. Well, except for the fried stuff at Long John Silvers. Anyhoo, I stepped out of my box and ordered the salmon with the fresh veggies. Let me tell you about the salmon - it's served with a tomato vinaigrette that reminded me of diced, marinated tomatoes, and a delicious herb tartar sauce. Tartar sauce is another food I don't normally eat, but this is delicious with fresh dill and chunks of pickle in it. We also had the crab cakes which are served with the tomato vinaigrette and jalapeƱo coleslaw. Oh my garsh, was it delish! The flavors all meshed so well. We also tried the Pinot Noir Poached Pear Salad. Oh, heavens, it was divine and the Roquefort cheese was so creamy and paired beautifully with the sweetness of the pears (which were red from the wine), the crunchiness of the walnuts and the bite of the balsamic dressing. D ordered the Center Cut Pork Rib Chop with caramelized apples and shallots. I didn't have any of it, so I can't really testify to how it tasted, but D said it was awesome! And since it was a date night we bellied up for dessert and split the Four Berry Pie. No words. Just no words. It was that good. It sounds like we had a lot of food, and it was more than we normally eat, but we split most of it, so we ate less than you think. And we both stayed under our daily calorie goals (and yes we had eaten other meals earlier in the day). 

The next week we had to buy D a new suit for his sister's wedding and since we were in Utica Square again, we went back to TWF. My mouth had been watering all week thinking about the salmon, so I ordered the lunch version. It was just as delicious as it was the week before. D had the Five Spice Catfish and he said it was some of the best catfish he's ever had. And he's had a lot of catfish!

The following week we had to pick up his suits after the store hemmed his pants. We considered eating at The Stonehorse Cafe, but TWF had us hooked. I had, of course, the salmon, this time with orzo pasta (I only had a couple of bites because pasta can be really calorie and carb heavy, but it tastes so good!). We had little man with us and we sat outside on the patio in the breeze, beneath the shade of the trees and it was a beautiful evening. Our waitress' name was Jasmine and she was an energetic little thing. She would slide on the concrete as she stepped up to your table. She did it at every table and I thought it was cute and funny. She looked like she really enjoys her job and she was very good at it. Ask for her when you visit!


If you've never been to Utica Square, I highly recommend that you go. It has a peaceful feeling to it; it's probably all of the trees and patio dining that add to that. And they have great shops - Coach, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma (I could spend all day in that store), L'Occitane, Bath & Body Works, Starbucks, Gap, Joseph A. Banks, Saks and many more shops and restaurants. At Christmas they decorate with all white lights and it is beautiful and elegant and festive and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And while you're there, drop into The Wild Fork. You won't regret it!

Here's a link to Utica Square and The Wild Fork:

www.uticasquare.com

www.wildfork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment