August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Friday, September 20, 2013

My favorite green beans

I have never really cared for fresh green beans. I grew up eating the canned variety and we would season them with bacon grease, butter, salt and pepper. Yes, I said bacon grease. But, in an effort to eat fresher, less processed foods, I decided to give fresh green beans my own spin. D and I don't like them sautéed in a pan and I don't like them to be crunchy when I bite into them. My solution? To roast them. Well, it's not roasting in the traditional sense where they're cooked at a low heat for a long period of time. But, it's super yummy!

Roasted Green Beans
  • 1 bag of fresh beans (1-2 lb)
  • Butter flavored cooking spray
  • Lawry's seasoned salt
  • Garlic powder


Spread the beans out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray with the cooking spray and then sprinkle the seasoned salt and garlic powder over the top. 


Pop them in the oven at 400° for 20-25 minutes. I like them fork tender and a little wrinkled. And if the ends are starting to get crispy, even better!
 

I made a chicken and vegetable stir-fry to go with the beans. 

Chicken & Vegetable Stir-Fry
  • 1-2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 zucchini, chopped or sliced
  • 1 yellow squash, chopped or sliced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, chopped or sliced 
  • 1/2 - 1 C red onion, chopped
  • 15-20 grape tomatoes, halved
  • Olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp Minced garlic (be lazy & use the kind in a jar, it works just as well)
  • Crushed chipotle peppers
  • Garlic powder
  • Lawry's seasoned salt
  • Crushed rosemary
  • Cracked black pepper
  • Louisiana Hot Sauce

Use a fork to tenderize the chicken by poking a bazillion holes in them. Drizzle a little olive oil over the chicken then sprinkle with the chipotles, garlic powder, rosemary, and seasoned salt. Repeat on the other side. Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the pan, cooking 3-5 minutes on each side. The outside of the chicken will be browned and there will be no pink in the center. Set the chicken aside to rest.
 

Place the minced garlic in the bottom of the pan, add a little olive oil, if needed. Throw all of the veggies into the pan and stir well, making sure you coat them with the oil. Sprinkle with rosemary and cracked pepper. Cover and let them cook 8-10 minutes until they're tender, stirring occasionally. 
 

Meanwhile, cut the chicken into pieces, then toss it back in with the veggies; stir and cook a couple of minutes longer. 
 

Serve it all up!
 

I threw a few dashes of hot sauce on top of mine after I plated it. However, if everyone in your house likes hot sauce, you could add it when you toss the cut chicken in with the veggies and let it all marinate together. Yum, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment