August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Carmichael's Pumpkin Patch

On Saturday I took the boy and Nana Lana to Bixby to Carmichael's Pumpkin Patch - the one I wrote about a couple of weeks ago. 


It was a beautiful fall morning when we got there about 10am with a light, cool breeze. They had a petting zoo, butterfly house, live carousel, camel rides, corn maze, dark maze, a hayride, and PUMPKINS!


Look at all of them! And this is just a small section of them! They were everywhere!


Look at all of the colors and textures. Some of them look like they're covered in barnacles. 


And these? I'm not sure what happened here. It looks like a regular pumpkin and a green gourd got together and had a baby. But, they're pretty and interesting to look at, nonetheless. 


I call these ghost pumpkins. It looks like Bunnicula has been here. Yes, Bunnicula is a real word and a real literary character. Your childhood must have sucked if you never read the books. My condolences. 


There were scarecrows...


and bushels of corn stalks,


and butterflies! They had a large mesh tent and gave us Q-tips with "butterfly food" that I'm guessing was mushed up apple pulp. I don't know. I'm not a butterfly wrangler, so I'm just guessing.  We held our Q-tips down by their feet and then they would climb on. We held them on our fingers and held them up so they could latch onto the mesh walls. 


Rocco was a natural!  Like a butterfly whisperer or a butterfly cowboy!  He also got to ride one of the ponies on the live carousel and loved it. He loves animals and tries to get me to stop and buy goats every time we see one. 


Love his smiling face!


We took a hayride after that. It was short, but the boy had fun and that's really what matters. 


Then we rode a camel! This was a first for me. Not having stirrups for my feet felt a little strange, and it felt like we were 20 feet off the ground. This camel was over 7 feet tall and had quite a pungent smell. I'm going to guess that it's possibly because pee just runs down their legs and coats their hair. Disgusting. But, it was a fun ride, anyway. 


They also had a large selection of mums and Rocco had to smell all of them. 


We also got up close and personal with some llamas. Or are these alpacas? I'm not sure. I don't actually know the difference between the two. I'm not a llama or alpaca farmer. Anyhoo, the one on the right pinned its ears back and looked like it was considering spitting on us, so we walked away.  Spit...yuck. 


There were also baby pot-bellied pigs. They were shy and this was the best picture I could get. They were so tiny!  The rabbits were also uncooperative and I wasn't able to get a picture of them, either. 


The water buffalo calf was quiet and sleeping, as was the porcupine, who hid in his shelter while we were there.  He smelled just as bad as he did two weeks ago. 


The owner said these are some kind of African goat. We saw them a couple of weeks ago and they have the tiniest, and I mean the tiniest, legs. And the horns are sharp. Hands off. 

We had a great time and Rocco said he had a lot of fun. I don't think he stopped smiling the whole time we were there. Great memories made with two of my favorite people. If you live within reasonable driving distance of Bixby, Oklahoma, I highly recommend Carmichael's Pumpkin Patch southeast of town. It wasn't overcrowded and we didn't have to wait in line for anything. Admission is free, but you do have to pay for rides, if you want to ride them. But, they weren't expensive; I think we spent about $20 total for all three of us.  You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment