August 8, 2012

August 8, 2012

Friday, August 23, 2013

Corn and Tomato Salad

After umpteen hundred friends shared this recipe, I decided to give it a try for a little change-up on a Monday night.  I shared this recipe on Facebook from a page called Easy Recipes, Your Guide to Simple Recipes.  We gave it a few tweaks for our palate.  Here's the recipe as it was given (I halved it for the two of us and had plenty left over):

Corn and Tomato Salad
  • 6 ears of corn
  • 3 large fresh tomatoes
  • 1/2 large onion or about 1 cup chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • two to three sprigs fresh oregano (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • fresh ground pepper
Boil corn in large pot of water for about 7 minutes.  Drain and plunge corn into cool water. Cut corn off cob and set aside to cool completely.  Chunk tomatoes and onion.  Coarsely chop basil and strip the oregano off stems.  Place cooled corn, chopped vegetable and herbs into large bowl.  Toss with vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste. Serve chilled or room temperature.
 
Here's what I did differently:
 
1.  I didn't plunge the corn into cool water.  I didn't even let it cool completely.

2.  I omitted the oregano.
 
3.  I added a few dashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce
 
4.  I added a small dash of salt.
 
I think a little bit of garlic would have been good in this, too.  It was light tasting and next time, I will use more basil because, you know, more basil is always better.  I was afraid that the olive oil might make it a little slimy, or make me feel like I had oil all over my face (the same way I feel after eating Chinese food) but it wasn't and it didn't.  The amount of oil is so small that it's really just more of a binder.  It was a different flavor for corn and tomatoes, not a flavor we're accustomed to having, but it was really good!  I also discovered that I like the salad better when the corn is still a little warm as opposed to chilled.  Give it a try and funk up your Monday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment